We have pledged to be carbon neutral by 2035.
We are committed to providing clean, low-emission energy -- 89% of our generation capacity in 2017 was emissions-free, and we seek to minimize emissions where possible.
Renewable energy is naturally low-emission or emission-free. AVANGRID’s CO2 emissions intensity in 2017 was 53g CO2/kWh; just 12% of the U.S. average of 454g CO2/kWh*. The 15,738 GWh of electricity AVANGRID generated from renewable sources in 2017 allowed our customers to avoid 7.93 million metric tons of CO2. This is roughly the equivalent of taking 1.7 million cars off the road for one year.
We’ve taken the concept of sustainability to heart and have shrunk our carbon footprint through a variety of methods including:
- Eliminating vehicle use where possible, such as using Advanced Metering Infrastructure to avoid vehicle travel
- Improving fuel efficiency for our fleet vehicles – including increasing the use of hybrids
- Decommissioning our fossil-fuel generation plants
- Upgrading our hydroelectric generation capacity
- Increasing overall energy efficiency in our buildings
- Encouraging and rewarding our customers to conserve energy
- Supporting the increased use of advanced technologies such as AMI to empower consumers and enable dynamic electricity pricing
- Reduction of SF6 emissions from breakers
- Detecting and repairing leaks in our natural gas distribution systems
AVANGRID acknowledges that climate change requires a shift in thinking as well as meaningful changes in how we conduct our business. Our desire to protect the environment grows stronger as the level of climate change increases, and we experience more weather-related catastrophes.
The AVANGRID companies are committed to:
- Continuously monitor and reduce our carbon footprint
- Improve our operational efficiency
- Engage our supply chain in supporting sustainable business practices
- Provide our customers with opportunities to cut their energy use
- Communicate the results of our efforts on a regular basis