Avangrid Foundation Announces Scholarship Recipients
ORANGE, CONNETICUT — September 21, 2017 — As students across the country head back to the classroom, AVANGRID Inc. (NYSE: AGR), a diversified energy and utility company, announces it will financially support more than a dozen students who are pursuing studies in the engineering, environmental, and data science fields. This year, Avangrid Foundation and Fundación Iberdrola España awarded approximately $900,000 in scholarships to cover stipends as well as enrollment at universities in Maine, New York, Oregon and Spain.
"Understanding and meeting the world’s energy needs, and protecting the environment are challenges that are closely linked,” said James P. Torgerson, president of Avangrid Foundation. “This scholarship program will help to ensure that some of the brightest young minds are focused on finding solutions to these issues.”
“Being able to study without the financial burden of graduate school will allow me to focus solely on strengthening my professional skills,” said Matthew Trudeau, who is pursuing studies at the University of Rochester.
The Avangrid Foundation, Inc. is the principal philanthropic arm of Avangrid, Inc. and its subsidiary companies, focusing on funding activities that promote environmental sustainability and improve the well-being of the communities served by our utility affiliates, which include NYSEG and RG&E (NY); Central Maine Power Company and Maine Natural Gas (Maine); United Illuminating, Southern Connecticut Gas Company, and Connecticut Natural Gas (CT); and Berkshire Gas Company (MA). Avangrid, Inc. is also the corporate parent of Avangrid Renewables, with headquarters in Portland, Oregon. Fundación Iberdrola España is the charitable foundation of Iberdrola, S.A., AVANGRID’s corporate affiliate.
This year’s recipients include:
Binghamton University, New York
- Michael Goebel of Victor, New York
- Ryan Empson of Cortland Manor, New York
Cornell University, New York
- David Hachuel Gurska of Madrid, Spain (funded by Fundación Iberdrola España)
- Jaime Luengo Rozas of Madrid, Spain (funded by Fundación Iberdrola España)
Oregon State University, Oregon
- Colin Comrad of West Linn, Oregon
- Tucker Jones of Poland, Maine
Rochester Institute of Technology, New York
- Jessica Peterson of Woodstock, Connecticut
- Simon Sandler of Saint Louis, Missouri
- Sara Hernandez Juarez of Madrid, Spain (funded by Fundación Iberdrola España)
- Cristina Tapia Lopez of Madrid, Spain (funded by Fundación Iberdrola España)
- Cristina Ferreiro Castro of Santiago De Compostela, Spain (funded by Fundación Iberdrola España)
University of Maine
- Michael Choiniere of Garland, Maine
- William West of Milbridge, Maine
Universidad Pontificia Comillas, Madrid,Spain
- Michael Hochberg of West Orange and Morristown, New Jersey
University of Rochester, New York
- Matthew Trudeau of Rochester, New York
# # #
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) is a diversified energy and utility company with more than $31 billion in assets and operations in 27 states. The company owns regulated utilities and electricity generation assets through two primary lines of business, Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks is comprised of eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving approximately 3.2 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables operates more than 6 gigawatts of owned and controlled renewable generation capacity, primarily through wind and solar, in 22 states across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 6,800 people. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com.
About Avangrid Foundation: Avangrid Foundation coordinates and funds energy sustainability, environmental, social responsibility and educational programs in areas where AVANGRID and its subsidiaries operate. For more information, please visit our website: www.avangrid.com.